Kingdom'opoly  WHICH KINGDOM DO YOU LIVE IN? You have a choice.   THE PAPER  A novel to increase your faith

BOOKS FOR SALE      $15.00

Romance, Excitement, Adventure, Deep

The United States Constitution

Everlasting Life



Declaration of Independence




Evidence of Holy Spirit Language


Crabb Linage

Helland Family History

Jeannette Glenn Ross

Jockisch Linage

Used Books for Sale

Church History


Raitt Linage

Ross Linage



Holy Spirit Filled Christians

Chicken Egg Activities for Grade School

USA Tour 1983

Used Books for Sale


 A book to help you to be:



over comer


defeat the devil


All through knowing the Truth- Jesus our Messiah













                           Our tour began in Phoenix, Arizona with the loading of luggage in the back of and on a rack on top of our Datsun 210 station wagon under the scorching sun of 103 degree F. Once loaded with water, food, clothes, etc., we left for California passing cacti, occasional bushes, dirt and more dirt for several hours. Leaving Arizona we were checked for fruits and plants at the border of California.  As we crossed the Colorad0 River, we decided this would be a good place to eat our picnic lunch and cool our feet since the summer sun was still bright on the horizon. A truck driver was also eating food he had brought and was relaxing. Striking up a conversation, we learned people were throwing rocks at the trucks and giving truckers a hard time due to road conditions. He mentioned how much money truckers had to pay to cross the States: very informative.

        Once our feet had been cooled by the water, our stomachs full and feeling rested, we continued our climb from Needles over the bottom of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range reaching around the 5000' level, then we descended into the valley where Indio is located only to climb again. Even with the change of altitude the landscape remained desert will passed Banning and Beaumont!  It wasn't until Riverside that the hills bloomed with grass, trees and shrubs. After midnight we finally arrived at Dad's (J. Paul Ross) home in Temple City, CA. Saturday had already begun.


We awoke to an overcast and misty sky. After visiting with dad we spent the day in El Monte, CA visiting with: Judy Helland, daughter Cassie and Ted Helland (Mike's sister, niece and brother).

                                                                                                     Elizabeth, Cassie,     Judy,       Ted,               Melody   Helland 

Later we visited friends: Johnny and Linda Humphreys who were painting their living room.

June 12, 1983 (Sunday) we arose early (having stayed over night at Elizabeth's father's house and headed to highway 101. Though this is a slower route up the coast of California, it is more picturesque. Even more stunning is highway 1, but it had been washed out. We rested near Morrow Bay.

Melody, Elizabeth, Edward on the coast near Morrow Bay, California

Our ten hours of battling a head wind, most of the time overcast skies, road construction and detours brought us to Aunt Mattielee's and Uncle Hal Nahmen's home in Pinole, California. We were exhausted. Aunt Mattielee is my father's sister. Aunt Mattielee's delicious ham dinner was well accepted. Nikki (my cousin), and two of her friends- Chris and Roger were also spending the night. Edward set up a pup tent in their back yard where Mike also slept. We visited all day Monday and late into the evening before retiring. Below is a picture of Aunt Mattielee.


Early Tuesday, we headed for my mother's cousin Delores. She is on the Raitt side of the family. Aunt Hazel (Raitt) Kelgore's daughter Delores and her husband Gordy built their home. It was  just beautiful. They did a great job. Her daughter Chris was just getting ready to go to work. She is the same age as Melody.

            Riding with Delores as she took Chris and a friend of hers to their bus-boy job, I got to see more of Vacaville, CA. Returning we visited, had a nice lunch of cold meats, and fruits, and then took Melody and Edward to the club swimming pool. Delores goes by Trudy. She gave me a whole new generation of relatives - James and John Raitt's mother's side. Gordy came home from work and barbecued some shish kebabs. We then went to the Nut Tree and listen to two men play and sing Western music. It certainly is a beautiful community with rolling green and brown hills. Before leaving for the Redwoods, we met Audrey (Chris's older sister) who is starting Jr. College majoring in nursing.

Gordy                                                                  Elizabeth,                                                 Trudy         Melody


Delores and Gordy's home in Vacaville, California







 It is now Wednesday and we are still in California. Trudy prepared a delicious filling breakfast to start us on our way. Mike and I slept in their trailer while Melody and Edward slept in the house.   Once on the road we headed back to the coast. After an hour or so of driving we stopped for coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. From there we went to the Redwoods.

Here Mike is driving through the trunk of a sequoia


and looked at the tree house, and tree chimney.


            Next on the agenda was locating a campsite next to Klamath River in the Klamath Camp Ground  nestled in among the tall sequoias.  Melody and Edward set up their pup tents and I prepared the back of the station wagon besides cooking dinner. The next morning Edward went fishing and caught a small one which he threw back. I spent my morning next to the river praying and reading the Bible: very peaceful.


          June 16th presented another long drive with lots to see. Shortly after starting for Portland, Oregon, we stopped at the trees of Mystery. The gift shop included two rooms that would just fit into our house on Vineyard - It was big. Mike, Melody and Edward took the tour.

   Following picture from the internet:

Entering Oregon we stopped at the visitor's station and obtained a map of the coast plus directions. We drove in the hills over looking the sea coast. Boulders dotted the coast.

We stopped at the Pre Historic Park and all took the tour. It was nice.

Below is pictures

The fern and heavy vegetation would be nice in our backyard around the periphery. Further, it was interesting to look at the sizes and shapes of the prehistoric animals.

From there we continued up the coast to Reedsport where we saw sea going vessels taking on wood products. One said Japan. Here we turned inland and followed the Unpqua River. This was certainly a beautiful drive. Tall Douglas fir trees and rolling hills divided by this large river was very impressive. Mike decided he wanted a home on one of these hills over looking the river. Finally, we met up with highway 5 and drove into Portland. Before going into the large cities, we stopped at a rest area and obtained a good view of Mt. Hood.

Around 6:30 we arrived at my cousin Kenneth and Fumiko Ross's home. Kenneth is the son of Bertna (Ross) and Wesley Ross my father's sister. Kenneth prepared the dinner. We spent two nights again giving us time to rest. Kenneth and Fumiko both worked only giving us time to visit at night. It rained off and on all day. Mike discovered our tires were bad so while I did the wash, the children and him went and bought tires. Kenneth is hopeful for his barber business, but also a little depressed. We fell in love with Fumiko.

Kenneth and Fumiko

            Saturday, June 18 we left for Spokane, Washington. We followed the Columbia River for mile after mile. As we drove, we watched melting snow or just natural waterfalls cascading down the sides of the hills next to the road.


                                                                    Columbia River

            Entering Washington all we could see was wheat fields which wasn't picturesque! It was overcast and rainy. Spokane is very hilly, and very pretty. Lots of trees and a river running though town like Portland. Around 4:00 P.M. we pulled up to my friend Brenda and her husband Darwin Marjaniemi's home. Brenda is still just as petite and pretty as she was when we were in our teens. Darwin seemed a lot older. We met their sons Craig and Curtis. After a brief rest they took us to the Japanese Flower Gardens.

Darwin, Craig, Curtis, Brenda, Edward, Elizabeth, Melody

            It sprinkled, but wasn't a bother. Brenda asked me to share my new Christian Faith being when we were together in our teens I was not a born-again Christian. We attended on Sunday Unity Church where they attend. Oh, this besides being father's Day was their wedding anniversary.

Brenda & Darwin Marjaniem   

In the South City of Spokane, we toured an old house and museum, ate ice cream and went to an I Max movie "Behold Hawaii": very good. All in all we had a wonderful visit with them. We found the sun setting later. It went down between 10 and 10:30 quite different from 8:00-8:30 in Arizona.

            Monday, June 20 we headed for Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. Ted --Mike's brother-- told us we had to see it. Passing through Idaho we spotted an airplane museum. We browsed around three different hangars seeing not only old air planes but cars and a mail-truck.

 From here we crossed the border into Canada.

It was still overcast and drizzly. We winded our way through cities and mountains. In Cranbrook, British Colombia, we exchanged $40.00 American dollars for 60 Canadian, purchased gasoline, and went to McDonalds for lunch. We saw a K Mart, Pizza hut, and other familiar shores.

Here is a picture from the internet

It was difficult to tell we were in a foreign country except for one thing: the streets were clean. Trash barrels were placed along the roads for visitors. Being refreshed we drove through British Columbia and arrived at Kootenay National Park. It cost $2.00 for admission. We were given pamphlets concerning bears and how to protect ourselves plus camping regulations. The mountains looked like alligator teeth covered with snow. We passed streams and waterfalls-very invigoration and beautiful.

Around 8:00 P.M. we arrived at Lake Louise Campground. Because the Canadian school's still were in session we had our choice of camping spots.

Melody next to her pup-tent at Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada Camp Ground


            By 9:30 we had eaten and set up camp. Being it was sill bright day light; we decided to see the area by foot. We met a young man who worked at the ski lift and he suggested we see Lake Moraine -its picture is on the back of the Canadian twenty dollar bill. We retired around 10:30 or 11:00 but the sun waited until midnight.

Pictures taken around 10:P.M. Next to camp ground


             Being nestled among tall trees, hearing the rush of the speeding river, and a light rain we settled down for a good night sleep. The sun however was up by 4 A.M. We spent $5.25 for hot showers at the bathroom and took advantage of the free fire wood after 5:00! Edward tried fishing but got his line hooked. At 7:41 A.M. we left for Lake Moraine. WOW!!! Ten snow covered mountain peaks looked down on a crystal clear lake. It was just breath taking. Pictures can not do it justice. Next, we went to Lake Louise that was also stunning. The lake was formed by a landslide of rocks from the near by tower of Babel. We ate breakfast in the Poppy room of the Chateau Lake Louise, Banff Springs Hotel. We were now on Mountain Standard Time so we had to move our watches up one hour.

Lake Louise   You can see the mountain reflected in the lake


            In the town of Banff we went to the Ice cream and Doughnut place. I had butter pecan that melted in my mouth: VERY GOOD! We stopped at Safeway and purchased some eggs and post cards. Banff is very pretty snuggled in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.


Definitely, we want to visit it again. Leaving Banff we headed for Glacier National Park. A Calgary radio station announced the temperature in centigrade in Fahrenheit it was 60 degrees. The speed limit was 110 KM equaling 56 mph. Alberta, Canada where Banff is located turns into farm land the closer one comes to the U.S. Border. The tall trees completely disappear as one leaves the mountain range for rolling hills.


                 At customs the guard asked if we had fruits, plants, guns and how much we had spent or what we purchased. We entered Glacier National Park at St. Mary's entrance and found one of the last camping sites at the Rising Sun Camp ground

Glacier National Park Montana from the internet

     June 22, 1983, woke up at 5:30 a.m. Edward and Mike went fishing.

I cooked pork chops and eggs for breakfast.  Our meat is defrosting.


We drove along the Going -to the- Sun road and we were at Logan Pass by 9:00 a.m. There Edward played in the snow, Mike found a good pen, and I purchased the pamphlet "A Self-Guided Tour for Motorist" concerning the geology of the area.

             Their general store had a place for showers charging 50 cents per person. It was truly refreshing. The sun set at 10:30: Much more reasonable!!!

Internet picture of Rising Sun Camp Ground

As we were leaving we took our pictures at the Continental divide. Edward had wet feet and stayed in the car. As we drove melting snow would sometimes wet the car. We could see large pieces of snow separating from the side of the mountain as we were passing.

         First day Glacier Park was opened to the public.Elizabeth and daughter Melody braved the cold to stand next to the Continental Divide sign at Logan Pass in Glacier Park.

             Driving through Montana on a very turning road we passed mile after mile a very large lake. At a steep incline there was an accident that stopped traffic for 30 minutes or more. Finally, we were on fairly level terrain and started making better time. We filled up the car at Bigfork, Montana and drove to Ennis, Montana. While in Ennis we ate dinner hoping to increase our energy level.

Internet picture of Ennis Montana

            We were all very tired and still had miles to go before reaching Yellowstone. The sun set before we reached West Yellowstone Park. Mike secured a room for us at the Ranch Motel. A warm shower and comfortable bed was greatly appreciated.


         Thursday, we found a laundry mat. Around 11, we entered Yellowstone National Park.

It cost $6.00 for our space at the Grants Camp Ground next to Yellowstone Lake.


I made some spaghetti that didn't take long to devour. We then left for Old Faithful. We arrived just in time to see the conclusion.

We toured the upper Geysers and returned to see 'Old Faithful' erupting. Next we attended a movie about the area, and went to Midway Geyser: very pretty. From there we drove the loop around Fire Ball Lake. Here we saw a lake of boiling water and the White Dome Geyser shoot off.

Internet pictures: White Dome Geyser , Fire Ball Lake and Fountain Paint Pot


At Fountain Paint Pot we saw what looked like boiling strawberry ice cream.

Returned to Camp, Edward went fishing.

 Later, Mike and Edward prepared dinner while I relaxed at the lake. The boys in the next space were noisy all night making it difficult to sleep. The man with them kept telling them scary stories. We had a poor nights sleep.

             Friday, June 24, Mike and Edward got up early and went fishing.  I again cooked pork steaks and eggs for breakfast. After breakfast, we packed the car and toured some more seeing Yellowstone Falls,

At Mud Volcano a buffalo blocked the pass for quite a while. Not wanting to be charged, we waited for him to move.

Mud Volcano and Artist Point

Internet pictures: Mud Volcano                                              Mud Pots                                       Artist Point                                              Dragon Mouth


We saw Artist Point and the Upper and Lower Falls.


The following are our pictures.

In this area we saw steam coming out of a cave called Dragon's mouth, and decomposed volcanic rock boiling in the Mud Cauldron.. It was really interesting to see.


                                                Another highlight was seeing Sandy a parker ranger that works at the Grand Canyon in Arizona and here. We hope to see more of her.

Another highlight was seeing Sandy a park ranger that works at the Grand Canyon in Arizona and here. We hope to see more of her.


Leaving Yellowstone was a very, very, very slow process. We were behind a camper that only went 35 mph, whom we followed for over an hour. By the time we arrived in Cody we were hungry and ready to eat lunch. They served soup and salad: VERY GOOD. Edward had a hot dog and Melody had a hamburger sandwich.

            Our next stop was Worland, Wyoming. Around 4:00 we arrived.  Here we met a distant cousin on my mom's side. Mildred Bunnel. She is the daughter of Matelda (Raitt) Hewitt who is the daughter of John Raitt a great-great grandfather of mine (John was married to Lily Raitt). Mildred welcomed us and prepared a nice meal. Orvil (Doc) arrived as we sat down for supper. We discussed family history, Doc's flying, and their leading a caravan of R. V. s through Canada to Alaska soon. Additionally, we learned they come to Arizona for the winters so we hope to see them this winter. Doc is a veterinarian, and with his airplane he sprays his crops. He gave us some post cards of Christ in the Mountains behind the Methodist Church.



Mildred and Orvil Bunnel


                Saturday, June 25, Orvil and Mildred cooked pancakes for us, especially for Edward. We left for the Black Hills of South Dakota. The road climbed and climbed until we reached 9666' level and then slowly descended. Just before reaching the Black Hills we encountered rain. It was three O' Clock when we entered the Black Hills area, found Wind Caves Camp Ground and obtained a space.

                                                                            A deer came close by.

At 4:00 we took the short tour of Wind Caves descending to 300' below the surface. We viewed the box-work on the ceiling and what looked like pop corn on the walls.

                                                                                                                    Melody, Elizabeth, Edward


The following three pictures are from the internet.

To complete the day we headed to Mt Rushmore for the 9:00 P.M. presentation, we again encountered a buffalo in the middle of the street. A motorcyclist coming from the opposite direction gunned his motor and the bison slowly moved off the road.


We arrived just as the program began and really had to hustle. We watched a movie about the men whose faces were carved into the mountains and the man who engineered the carvings, concluding with the Star Spangle Banner and the flood light lighting up the faces. Very impressive!

In the early morning, we again experienced rain. Sunday, we went to the amphitheater where we attended church. The Pastor noticed our Family Life Radio Station sticker that had partly diminished. Thankfully the rain stopped until the end of the service, and then only sprinkled. There was a fairly good turn out. On the way to the Badlands we saw a sign after sign advertising Wall Drug Store. Like everyone else we stopped there. It was wall to wall people. Now, the rain came down in buckets. We were able to see erosion in action. At the Badlands National Park we watched a movie explaining how the badlands were formed. (Free). It would have cost $2.00 to enter, but we had purchased a Golden Eagle card.

                Crossing the Badlands we went into Kennebec, South Dakota and camped at the KOA. It was terrible. The mosquitoes were thick; the bathrooms were far away as will as there being bundles of hay everywhere even in the middle of the road. Evidently, we were in farm land. For a hay fever sufferer, one who needs the restroom often, and doesn't like to be bit by mosquitoes, it was a miserable!

Mike cooking some meat we had brought along.


                 Monday, June 27 we left by 7:35 a.m. and traveled through rolling green hills, small pine trees and more bundles of hay. In Mitchell, South Dakota we stopped at the Corn Palace where the facing was decorated with corn of various shapes and colors: not only the part we eat but the husk too.

internet picture


Our pictures show a different facing.

Outside                                        Inside next to a picture

Inside they gave tours and explained how South Dakota is the Corn capital. One couldn't prove that by us. We saw more corn grown in other states than here. Leaving Mitchell, a detour really took us out of our way. Then I got the bright idea to go to another city and cross into Nebraska. After traveling on flooded roads, passing fields of crops under water, and learning from a farmer they buy their products retail and sell wholesale, we finally got to the city only to find out there was a river and no bridge to cross it. Eventually, entering Nebraska we hit a flooded section of the road head on, and it was deep. With the Good Lord's help Mike was able to control the car and keep it going.

           More detours were met before we finally reached Aunt Ethel (Raitt) Van Matre [my grandma Maude Raitt Jockisch's sister] in David City, Nebraska late afternoon.

          The terrain was much the same with rolling hills. We seemed to climb going toward David City. Thankfully, we left the flooding behind. In the evening Aunt Ethel and I had a wonderful time studying the Word about the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and Rapture while Mike slept and the children watched television. 

                                                         Aunt Ethel

        Tuesday, June 28th Glenn and Gladys (Hewitt) Kolbo came over for dinner and supper. Gladys is the sister of Mildred Bunnel whom we stayed with in Worland. We all looked at lots of pictures and reviewed family history. Mike before they arrived and during the visit was able to help Aunt Ethel by fixing a lamp, her record player and something on the back door. Edward went and played with the local children and shot off a 'Roman Candle' and fire crackers.

                       Elizabeth, Gladys    and Aunt Ethel                                                                          Glen and Gladys Kolbo

Elizabeth, Melody                         Glen, Gladys, Edward   Aunt Ethel

We visited with Aunt Alta Raitt in the Nursing home. She was very alert and could move her legs and arms.  She was in a wheelchair. She missed being at home with her husband Archie. Then we visited Uncle Archie Raitt (89). He seemed to be doing very well, very alert, hard of hearing and couldn't see very well. He was listening to President Reagan on the Television. We suggested he go to the nursing home and stay with his wife. No Way was he going to do that! He wasn't going to have anyone tell him when to get up!

                             Denise, (Aunt Ethel, Elizabeth in back), Aunt Alta, Melody          Uncle Archie


                 Next we visited with Dennis and Diane Kilgore. Dennis was tired and upset about road conditions and payments being forced on the individuals. Denise is the son of Hazel Kelgore the sister of Maude and Ethel

Diane, Dennis,  and Denise


            Returning to Aunt Ethel's we did several loads of clothes and thankfully we were able to dry them on the clothes line.  Edward enjoyed playing with the boys across the street on their rider tractor, going swimming in the public pool and in general having fun. When we arrived back it was raining and he was waiting for us on the porch.


            Wednesday -- June 29th-- Aunt Ethel rang the bell to wake us up at 7:00 a.m.  It rained off and on. It was still overcast as we left for Story County, Iowa. Again we met with road construction, and detours. At 9:30 a.m. we crossed over the river into Iowa where we stopped at the visitor center. A lady gave us information about Story County and other places, also information concerning the weather.  When entering Des Moines it rained very hard. 

                Arriving at Story County seat in Nevada we found Ernest Helland's birth certificate, beside death and marriage records of the Helland's. The birth certificate told us where Ernest was born. Thus we were off to Roland. The first thing on our mind was to eat. We found the Rocket Inn Cafe. It was the only place in town to eat.

The Pastor of the Bergen Lutheran Church allowed us to look at their records and told us where the old Cemetery was and who knew Mike's Grandfather Lewis. We visited with Ed and Joe Johnson who knew Lewis Helland. We didn't find much at the cemetery. Mr. Johnson told us where Lewis lived so we went there and took pictures of the area. The house sitting there is not the same house.

We further talked to Mr. Ruben Olsen who played with Ernest as a child. West Indian Creek flows near Lewis's farm. Driving to the cemetery we saw a mail box labeled with Helland.

Going back to Roland we decided to stop at the farm we had seen "Helland" on the mail box. Mike saw a man working on the side of his house.

Mike said, "You don't know me and I don't know you but my last name is Helland and we might be relatives."

 Sure enough his grandfather Edward Helland was Mike's grandfather's Lewis's brother.


Jim & Grace Helland's Home

 Jim invited us into his spacious home and introduced us to his wife Grace.


Jim Helland               Mike Helland

They then asked if we had eaten. We mentioned we had lunch at the Rocket Cafe. He said they would take us to a better place to eat. They treated us to dinner and invited us to stay overnight.  On the way to dinner we stopped by the cemetery in Roland and Mike took a picture of where Lewis Helland is buried. Here Mike and the Children saw their first fire flies.


Jim and Grace run a farm of 240 acres and raise pigs.  We learned from him the excrement from the cows is considered "black gold".

            Their invitation to spend the night worked out great since we were wondering where we were going to sleep.  After dinner we visited late into the night going over family pictures and Jim showed Mike old newspaper clippings of Lindbergh flying the Spirit of St Louis over Iowa.  Jim and Grace are both full blooded Norwegians.  Grace collects bells.


Elizabeth             Jim,  Grace, Edward

            We slept upstairs. waking up at 6:30 a. m. we ate breakfast, visited, and saw some real cute piglets. We watched the hogs eat our spoiled meat covered with aluminum.  Our car had trouble starting so Jim towed our car while Mike attempted to start it. He was successful.  We left by 10:28 a.m. We sure appreciated their wonderful hospitality.


                Our next stop was Decorah, Iowa. It was a sunny, hot and humid day with scattered white clouds, not really that hot compared to Arizona. Here is located a neat Vesterheim Norwegian Museum.

internet picture of Museum

We saw a sloop - a ship. In the Helland Family History book an unknown author had written that the Helland's had come to America on a sloop. Elizabeth found information years later that their names were among the passengers on a regular ship.  Below is a sloop.

It says the skipper was Lars Olsen Helland. We know the man must be from Helland, Norway but relationship is uncertain.

The following is the actual transportation of the Helland's.


In the museum were several references to different Helland's: one sailed a ship, and another one made violins. (Maybe that is where Ted Helland obtained his talent to be a Jazz Violinist and Melody obtained her talent to play the violin.) We saw an old violin carved by a man named Helland.

            When I went into the women's room, I saw a lady with a terrible nose bleed. Compassion flooded me and I asked if I could pray for her. She said, 'Yes'. After I prayed, she went to the hospital. We continued our tour. Much later I saw her and she related how when she arrived at the hospital, it stopped bleeding.

She said usually she has to have surgery. I thanked Jesus for His healing power. A year later through correspondence I learn she was still healed. What a mighty God we serve.


       We reached the Pulpit Rock Campground in Decorah and paid our $4.00 to spend the night. My nose immediately started. I believe I was allergic to the trees.

internet picture

            We set up the pup tents next to the stream, cooked our food, and did some hiking. Mike and I straighten up the back of the station wagon and blew up the air mattress. After we retired, we learned a tornado was heading our way. The wind picked up and it poured. I became very concerned about Melody and Edward. When the rain slowed, Mike rushed to them and found them soaking wet. He got them out of their pup tents which was next to the creek and had them lay down with us in the back of the station wagon.

       The children stretched out while we had to sit. At the museum we had seen short beds and learned that the women were short, but the men being tall slept sitting up in order to get out of their beds quicker to protect their home. Will, I could not sleep, but Mike slept like a baby. It must be his Norwegian blood.

                July 1: still raining. Again our car would not start. Some other campers pushed the car and it started. We crossed over the Mississippi into Illinois. We went to Pekin the county seat. There, I got the name of a lady -Betty Murphy- who has records of all those buried in Tazewell County. She instructed me how to get to Dear Creek cemetery. Take 3rd street in Deer Creek go to the 't' in the road where you turn right and go past Bell farm not over a mile and a half. We found the cemetery fenced in with a white fence, tall grass. The Raitt stone was the first one we came to, very will preserved.

Other stones were piled on one another: poor condition.


                 Illinois is flat. In Pekin we called Rosabell Lindley and asked if we could visit her. Her husband was one of the Raitt's. We arrived in  Minook, Ill. around 5:00 p.m. Rosabell lives on a large farm with cattle, corn, and soy beans.

She invited us to spend the evening. This made the second farm we had the opportunity to spend the night. Her husband died in September of last year 1982. She lives here alone however, her son Ken and grandson Kevin come over everyday to the attend the farm. Rosabell is still grieving Austin's death but stays cheerful most of he time. She had me call her sister-in-law Helen Thurstad ( Austin's sister, who lives in Malta so we could visit her. Rosabell is a retired Home EC. Teacher and really likes teenagers.

Rosabell and Elizabeth

Saturday July 2, we did not leave until 10:30 a.m. We went to Chenoa Cemetery and found only one Crabb spelled Crabbe, then to the park for lunch. Next, we went to the funeral parlor and learned two Crabb's were buried there: J.H. Crabb and Almer Crabb. We went to Pontiac Cemetery and found one Crabb: John Elmer Crabb PVT Co F 2 BN Repl TNG World War U Ceb  Ayg 4m1896-Jan15, 1969. Being it was 4th of July weekend the park was crowded.

We saw the monument to the Civil War soldiers that James Raitt wrote about in 1907.


According to James Raitt's book it was next to the Court House. Now the area is all cemeteries. The monument is still in good shape. We were searching for people by the last name of Crabb and found one. The director of the cemetery referred us to two men who were very much alive. I called Bunnell Crabb and read to him parts of James Raitt's book. He remembered all the people mentioned. Bunnell was the brother of the man buried in the Pontiac Cemetery. He also had a sister-Lula who was into family history. His nephew Rodney Crabb runs Crabb Insurance in Pontiac. He told me the old Crabb's are buried in Pike Township 10 miles out of town. Pontiac and Pike are in Livingston County, IL. It was getting late and we needed to go do some washing and call Helen. Everything was wet from the storm in Decorah. The storm dumped 5 inches of rain during the night on Malta.

            Helen drove into town meeting us at the laundry mat and directed us to her farm. We had to take detours. Homes, roads, etc. were flooded. Some of her crops were under water. We had a nice visit. She's a retired English teacher. Rising early the next morning we could hear the wind blowing, which pleased Helen. We thought, 'it would have to do a lot of drying to save the crops.'

            Sunday- July 3, 1983 we headed for Ohio on highway 30. It was a terrible road. We passed more farm lands, going up and down through rolling hills, through South Chicago and on into Indiana. We now had to make a decision, pay and use the toll road to cross Indiana or use surface streets. We chose the latter.  This turned out to be the wrong choice. The roads were even worse than those previously.

            The cassette player stopped working after hitting too many bumps in the road. Until then we had been listening to tapes about each state covering botany, geology, history, etc. I had prepared these while recuperating from pneumonia.

            Farm lands gave way to more cities. Flooding was still evident with parking lots under water, and with the sides of streets washed out.  We saw more corn fields. At 2:30 we entered Ohio, flat with fields of corn-no evidence of flooding. Our highway 30 made a detour so we changed to 224 and took that to Uncle Ray and Aunt Lois Jockisch (my mother's brother).  We passed many barns some painted white and others red. Some towns had all their flags out for the 4th of July. Others didn't.  A bill board proclaimed "This is the Year of the Bible and to read your Bible". Time moved ahead an hour making it later yet. Around 7:00 we arrived.

       Uncle Ray startled me with how thin he was. We sat around and discussed family history and the cemeteries we had visited. It turn out that in Nebraska where we had found the graves of the Jockisch's children was where those moving from Illinois to Nebraska were buried. It used to have a fence around it: One would never know it now. Ray said his father had asked him to take care of the cemetery: of course that was too much to ask. Ohio and Nebraska are far apart. 

    July 4, Monday. Donna (my cousin) and husband Mike with their two children Seth and Adam came over for the Day.

Uncle Ray & Mike                          Aunt Lois & daughter Donna                 Mike Jackson & Son Adam

Mike Jackson,            Uncle Ray, Mike Helland    Donna,   Melody,    Elizabeth

Donna is applying for a teaching position and Mike is teaching electronics. It rained in the evening: A very nice restful day.

              July 5th, we left for Columbus, Ohio at 8:10 a.m. to where the Ohio Historical Library and archives are located. On the way we stopped at Stuckey's for souvenirs, and saw lots and lots of green trees. Ohio is flat having lots of small lakes. I spent all day researching James Ross to learn that he and his wife Esther Kennedy Ross lived in Cambridge and were farmers.

            Mike and the children went over to the University and spoke to some of the professors. Afterwards we ate lunch/dinner across from the University. We then went to Salt Fork Lake State Park Campground traveling over more rolling green hills. This time with lots of pine trees: Nice drive. The camp ground was spacious and had very nice facilities: cost $7:00 per night. There were a lot of people. It was neat thinking my great, great grandparents use to travel through this area. Very pretty!


It was overcast. Melody and I slept in the back of the station wagon. During the night it cleared and I could see the Milky Way.

July 6th we were up by 6:00 a.m. and left the camp ground by 8:00 a.m. We went to Cambridge court house. Very impressive architecture! It was built in 1881.






internet picture

The town itself is snuggled in a very picturesque area: just breathtaking.  They did not have birth or death records prior to 1867. They did have deeds, and wills. I learned Benjamin Kennedy was Esther Kennedy's father. Also I obtained a copy of James Ross last will and testament and marriage certificate.

Can not read                                                      

James Ross to Esther Kennedy

" The State of this Guernsey County is By virtue of a marriage License issued from the Court of Common. Pless of said County I'd did on the 2 day of September 1750 solemnize the marriage of Mrs. James Ross. Esther Kennedy given under my hand this 7th day of Sept. 1850  J. M. Balid M G attest George Mc Leran Clerk"

                Next we traveled to Wild Wonderful West Virginia-That's what the large banner had over the border. We quickly entered Pennsylvania. The road was still bad. Our front radio speakers gave out due to the continuous jolts. We found the hills in West Virginia higher than those in Ohio. In Pennsylvania we drove through the Allegany Mountains via a tunnel. The part we saw was very hilly and wooded. Tall hills were on either side of the turnpike. Soon we entered Maryland seeing lower hills and back to West Virginia. These states are right next to each other.

            Finally, we arrived at Harper Ferry KOA Campground; we located our space, and set up the pup tents and our little kerosene burner to cook dinner. Melody did the cooking while I sewed patches on one of the pup tents.

            We were quite a distance from the restrooms. Mike went with me in the middle of the night. A stream was near by with a lot of Civil War Memorabilia. There were signs telling where different artillery was located.

July 7th we drove through Virginia and Maryland to Washington D. C. We saw a lot of brown areas, trees and rolling green hills.  The landscape was soon covered with buildings and freeways. We parked under the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and spent the day touring it.


Edward and Melody in the parking lot

          First we took the guided tour that ended just before time for lunch. We ate lunch in the cafeteria on the top floor. Afterwards we took in the IMAX movies: Living Planets, and Flying. We then toured the building on our own ending up going to the Planetarium. By that time I was exhausted. A couple of times I nearly dozed off. Mike took lots of pictures of the Spirit of St. Louis.


Arriving back at the campsite, Melody again fixed dinner and I did the wash. The laundry mat was a climb from our space.

            The next day by 8:15 a.m.  (July 8th, Friday)  we were back on the road returning to Washington D. C. I went to the Archives for three hours and found nothing on James Ross or Benjamin Kennedy. Mike and the children went to the Space Museum, and then we met at the National History Museum. There was just too much to see. We saw the Hope Diamond, moon rocks, slides on Rome and Greece, dresses of different cultures, dinosaur bones, and on and on and on. Next we went to the American History Museum and did a very fast tour. We did see some films on music and photography.  We will have to go back one of these years to give it justice. As we headed back to our campsite we stopped in George Town and ate at the Turf. It was 10:30 by the time we arrived back to the campground.

            Saturday (July 9th), the KOA had pancakes for sale so we partook and then went to Harper Ferry. After seeing a movie about the area, we took a guided our. We learned a lot more about the Civil War and John Brown. Here is where the Civil War started with the hanging of Mr. Brown.  We saw a movie and then took the tour.

Our guide told us more about the events. We are standing next to where the arsenal                                                                                                                was located

   From Harper Ferry we went to Arlington Cemetery, then to Jefferson Memorial and Mike and I prayed for a parking space.

The Lord gave us one that was all day parking for free besides being close to the tour bus terminal. Praise the Lord. On the tour bus we learned about the building and there contents.  The tour cost $24.00 for the four of us. Following this we  toured the Capitol of the United States of America. This was one of the the highlights of our trip for me.


Melody and Edward are listening to the guide as we toured the Senate and House Chamber.


  We went to the Lincoln Memorial and the White House.

                         After the touring we went to the 200 year of flight celebration at the Smithsonian Space Museum. After watching a hot air balloon filled, listening to different orchestras and saw a juggling act

Mike and I walked back to the car and drove it to the museum.  Dinner again was at the Turf in George Town. It was midnight when we reached the camp.

When doing laundry we saw a sign advertising Harper Ferry Pentecostal Church.

July 10th Sunday after a pancake breakfast at the camp we attuned it.  Church over, we packed the car, cleaned up the area and drove to Petersburg, VA. We spotted Quantico Marine Base and saw they were having a remote control model air plane show. It was great.

            We arrived at another KOA Campground. Edward went and did the washing while Melody and Mike set up the tents, and I cooked the dinner. Since dinner took awhile Melody went and helped Edward fold the clothes. After dinner Edward went swimming with the all the boys. There was a motorcycle race near by so a lot of them were at the KOA with their children. Edward really enjoyed himself.


July 11th, Monday, we went to Williamsburg where we ate lunch at the Berrett-Sea food place. It was expensive. Next, we went to the visitor's center and watched a movie about the events occurring at Williamsburg prior to the Revolutionary war.

After much walking, we entered the Williamsburg Church and heard a talk on its history and the people who attended there: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Patrick Henry to name a few. 

In the Printing shop we learned "The Virginia Press or Gazette" started publication in August of 1736 and that from the 6th issue to now is on microfilm at the court house in Richmond, VA. Further, we learned that Thomas Edwards (my Father's mother's side) was not married at the local church. He was probably married at home which was very common. All birth, death, and marriages licenses were burned in 1865.

            Our next destination was James Town. Here we watched them make glass and I put my feet in the warm James River: my feet hurt from all the walking. We joined a group and learned from the tour guide that the fort is under water, and the rest of the buildings except the church were just foundations. She informed us how the people used wooden chimneys and this led to many fires. We learned about John Smith and sat in the church that had been rebuilt several times since its first erection in the 1600's.  When the people came to James Town they were all required to attend church.

The problems with our car were intensifying.  Returning to the KOA camp Edward again went swimming.

Tuesday, July 12th we had the tires balanced at Jefferson Ward in Richmond, VA. Being that did not help, Mike decided it was the universal joint. It was decided we would go to North Carolina, TN, etc and then home. However, the situation with the car changed our plans.


                 When entering North Carolina we learned the location of a Datsun Service Department. It turned out one could not just purchase the universal joint; you had to purchase the complete driveshaft.  They did not have the part. After calling different states they located the part in Columbia, South Carolina. 

            In North Carolina we passed a lot of tobacco fields. The scenery turned into pine trees and more pine trees. It was now dark and there were no street lights.  It was dark. We couldn't even see Columbia until we entered the city. We arrived at midnight to find there were no vacancies at the motels, hotels due to a convention. We drove to the Datsun Service Center and asked the guard if we could sleep in our car. He was kind to us and let the children sleep in his camper truck on a mattress. Very nice of him!

            Wednesday, July 13th Mike cut the cost of the repairs by putting in the driveshaft. Mike was ready to go home. We drove to Alabama. Again it was hazy with continuous trees where ever we looked. It was hot and sticky. The Georgia's 'Welcome Station' had picnic tables where we spread out our lunch.  Thankfully, Georgia had good roads. In Oxford, Alabama we spent the night at the Ramada Inn. Due to the air-conditioner not working the room only cost $30.00.

Thursday, July 14 around 7:30 a. m. we left for home. We saw Japanese ivy covering bushes, trees, and telephone poles. Anything that was high was covered. This was in Alabama, Mississippi and into Louisiana. Rain followed us. In Birmingham, Alabama there was a terrible smell due to a refinery. Another thing we noticed was a lot of red outcropping on the rolling hills and we saw brown grass.

             At 11:05 a.m. we entered Mississippi and went to the Welcome Station. Beautiful, they had red velvet curtains, and free coffee, coke or tea was offered. Very nice!  At 2:46 we entered Louisiana over the Mississippi River. The Hills were still there but the trees mostly gave way to rivers, lakes, and pasture lands. We saw a lot of swamps and trees. At the Welcome Station which was very nice we learned it was over 100 degrees with 30% humidity. In the evening we entered Texas.

            At first Texas was green with trees but sometime during the night it changed to desert. The highways and freeways did not have lights except when entering areas where a lot of freeways crossed each other as in Dallas and Fort Worth. By the time we passed through these cities the freeways were deserted.

            The wind picked up making it difficult to drive and we were tired. When we finally found a rest area we stopped for a couple of hours or less and slept. The wind had stopped when we awoke. Around 9:00 a.m. we stopped at a picnic area and had breakfast. Early in the morning we drove through heavy rain, but as the day went on it turned hot-VERY HOT. It was now barren region. We entered the mountains and climbed to El Paso. At El Paso we went to the Visitor Center and a museum. It was over 100 degrees when we saw military men fully geared marching. I am sure glad I wasn't them- probably I would have fainted.

            Thursday and Friday for us was one day. Leaving Texas we drove through New Mexico into Arizona arriving home around midnight.

            Melody during our tour of the USA read out loud to us: The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jeti and Star Wars. I read out loud the Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peal.

            We had a very enjoyable trip meeting friends and relatives, seeing the historical sites, and found the geological structures very interesting. We want to go back to the places previously visited and stay longer. Edward and Melody also summarized the journey.


June 11 Dad's (Phoenix to Temple City 390 miles)

June 12, 13 Uncle Hal and Aunt Mattielee (390 miles)

June 14 Dolores (51 miles)

June 15 Del Norte Coast Redwoods (346 miles)

June 16, 17 Portland, Oregon Kenneth & Fumiko Ross (374 miles)

June 18, 19 Brenda and Darwin Marjaniemi Spokane Washington (351 miles)

June 20, 21 Banff Lake Louise Camp Ground, Alberta, Canada

June 22, 23 yellow stone Camp Ground

June 24 Orval & Mildred Hewitt Bunnell John Raitt's sister's (Matilda) daughter. John Raitt married Lily Raitt

June 25 B lack Hill, South Dakota (Wind Caves camp ground)

June 26 South Dakota (KOA camp ground)

June 27, 28 Ethel (Raitt) Van Matre David City Nebraska

June 29, 30 Iowa

July 1, 2 Illinois

July 3, 4 Ray Jockisch

July 5 Ohio Cambridge Camp Ground

July 6, 7, 8,9,10 Harpers Ferry KOA Camp West Virginia 304 535 6895 Rt.3

Box 1300 Zip 25425 (Got to Smithsonian and Harper Ferry)

July 11, 12 the South Forth KOA 2809 Courtland Rd. Petersburg VA 23805

Went to Williamsburg and James Town.

July 13 Plans changed due to car problems (South Carolina)

July 14 Alabama

July 15 Phoenix, Arizona